Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Day in Chelsea, London.

Today I went shopping in Kings Road, Chelsea. After arriving via Sloan Square tube station I made a 'B' line for Anthropologie. This is their second store and quite a bit different from the Regent Street shop. It's got a real warehouse/old factory feel to it, with high glass skylights. In it's previous life the building was known as the 'Antiquarius' building, housing many antique businesses, and apparently prior to that was at some stage a gentleman's club!!




I snuck around inside, surreptitiously taking a snap here and there. I was really more interested in the vintage props, some of which are for sale.

Really big old books!

Old gal never looked so good!

Right slap bang in the entry.

Vintage french bottle racks.

Entrance to the fitting rooms.


Strips of fabric hanging from the ceiling.

One of the gorgeous sales girls told me that Anthro have a full time visual arts department (I think based in the Regent Street store)! They are extremely talented people...it's always so stimulating to see the latest looks and effects that they pull together.


A bit further up the street I had to stop for some sustenance at the Bluebird Cafe. This is an interesting concept which includes an indoor cafe, outdoor cafe cum bbq area, a food store, bakery, wine cellar, the Bluebird Restaurant and Bar and the Shop at Bluebird.

After inhaling a coffee and a serve of eggs benedict I was re-fueled and ready to shop some more. The Shop at Bluebird is, like Anthro, a little bit outside the square...very edgy and different. In it's large space it houses some really great fashion as well as quirky pieces of furniture and interior products.
The styling is amazing as these photos will tell....

Light bulbs hanging from the ceiling.

Old ladders, painted white used as props.

Who let that fox in!

Old cases and theatre seats.

I know these photos aren't fantastic, but again I was sneaking around taking quick shots.


Along the way I passed some really interesting windows, have a look at these....

Ready for Halloween.



Side view of  'tea' shop.

Lovely door to the 'tea' shop.

Then I found these little beauties!





These windows at Osborne and Little blew my mind! Each beetle represented a fabric collection by a particular designer. I think the first one was Liberty, but in my excitement I forgot to look at the others. Each window is opaque with just the centre circle a clear view to the magnificent beetle amidst clumps of bamboo.


The other thing that always catches my eye are flowers. There are little kiosks everywhere, as well as the odd florist shop. The flowers here in London always look amazing (usually with amazing prices), but unfortunately (or perhaps not), I am always travelling home on the train....five minutes in the tube and my purchases would be wilting badly.




I need that planter!

I've saved the best for last, but alas the photos are pretty ordinary as the reflection was drastic.


Cabbages and Roses is my favourite shop in London. It's a gorgeous concoction of white and gal and old timber, with beautiful clothes, props, fabric, styling....... I have some better photos, including some interior shots (I wasn't game this time as the sales girl was hovering), but I can't find them...will definitely hunt them out and post soon.


In the meantime have a look at Christina's site at http://www.cabbagesandroses.com

1 comment:

  1. Hiya :)
    I've been wanting to visit the new Anthro store and I haven't seen any photos floating around yet :) Thank you for sharing!! XO L

    ReplyDelete